Arjun's Fifth Birthday - Healthy (Easy) Party Ideas
Our first baby turning five was a really big milestone and special day for us. I have always tried to hold parties for the boys but in true working mum reality there have been some times that it has just been too hard (cue end of doctoral thesis and also book publishing deadline as examples). While we are still very much in a busy period (is life ever not busy?!) we did plan ahead for this time as some things need to be booked well in advance AND I just did not try to do everything and have everything perfect. Holding a party at home is just a no-go especially as the boys are bigger, cleaning the house top to bottom is actually mission impossible AND space wise if it rains would be a bit of a nightmare. So we booked a local community at a local park which meant if it rained (which it did!) so the stress-factor was zero. One other planning tip that I found helpful was we had an afternoon party. I had not done this before but it meant that I had time in the morning for preparation which turned out to be a life-saver! Party Food The aim of the game was to keep it as healthy, simple and fun as possible....oh and without spending hundreds of dollars too. Easier said than done I know! I Would love to spend hours (days) making little party morsels but #workingmum life means you have to cut corners (a lot of corners). So I selectively made just a couple of really simple recipes - that even Arjun helped to make and then got some creative with a platter board and some easy-to-put together snacks. So we had:
- Popcorn in individual cup cakes holders
- Savoury sticks (with mild Biersticks sausages, cheese and grapes)
- My Mini Bacon and Egg Pies (above) with Get Real Food Sauce
- My Healthy Party Crackles - which are dairy and gluten free so can also replace a cake option for a child who is intolerant or allergenic to these foods.
- A big platter packed full of vegetables, fruit, some cheese, dips, crackers (Nairns Oatcakes) and salmon as a centre piece - which serves both adults and children alike!