Healthier Apple Crumble
This is a great dessert to whip up on a cold winter’s night – you can actually make it easily in single serve ramekin bowls and is so full of nutrients you could even have the left overs as a breakfast option! This recipe made four small serves but you can easily adjust the ingredients according to your family size.
2 Red Apples washed and sliced (skin on)
Cinnamon (amount to your liking)
Nutmeg (amount to your liking)
1/2 cup of rolled oats (or 1 cup of almond meal for a gluten free option)
1/2 c desiccated coconut
Cream or unsweetened yoghurt to serve (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 °C
- Place the apple slices in a loaf tin (or oven proof dish) and sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg
- In a separate bowl, place in oats and coconut then cut in butter to resemble fine breadcrumbs (like when making scones)
- Sprinkle crumble mixture over apples and cover with tin foil. Bake for 30mins covered.
- Uncover and bake for another 20mins (or until top is golden) and serve warm with whipped cream (cream actually has less sugar than ice-cream!)
Note: You could also add finely chopped nuts (walnuts would be great) for an extra protein boost.
xx Dr Julie Bhosale