Guilt-Free Chocolate Cake
Cake is one of my weaknesses (we all have them) and this is a recipe I created after desperately searching for an easy chocolate cake recipe that was not laden with flour and refined sugar but also had everyday ingredients - and being frustrated that I could not find anything. I would still call this a treat but this one you do not need to feel guilty about as it is grain-free, refined sugar free and dairy free- just perfect for Mother’s Day! Ingredients 1 cup of ground almonds 1 cup of cocoa powder 4 eggs ½ cup (4Tbs) of coconut oil, melted 4 Tbs desiccated coconut 3 Tbs dark chocolate chips (optional) 2 Tbs honey 1 tsp baking soda 1 tsp vanilla essence Pinch of salt Extra coconut oil/butter (to grease tin) Directions:
- Preheat oven to 180°C and grease a round cake tin (I used an 8 inch with a removable base).
- In one bowl combine all dry ingredients (ground almonds, cocoa powder, coconut, baking soda, chocolate chips and salt).
- In another bowl combine all wet ingredients (eggs, melted coconut oil, and vanilla essence) and use a fork to whisk together.
- Combine the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well – the mixture will be quite thick.
- Quickly add the mixture to the tin and use a spatula to even out the top
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly before removing from a tin. Serve with sprinkled coconut (or a chocolate ganache) and a generous dollop of whipped cream or unsweetened yoghurt.