Feta, Green Pea & Mint Fritters
These fritters are nothing fancy but are very versatile, you could have them any time of day and are super easy to pop into a lunch box. Plus they are a good way to sneak in some good greens and include mint which is especially beneficial for keeping your immune system strong and aiding digestion.
I actually created these fritters very pregnant with Smushie and I cooked up extra to pop in the freezer for his impeding arrival!
2 cups of frozen peas (I used mint flavoured frozen peas)
1/2 C Milk
1 C of whole-meal flour
3 tsp of baking powder
100g (approx) of feta cheese, cut into small cubes
2-3 large spinach leaves chopped finely
1/4 c (approx) of fresh mint leaves, chopped
Handful of grated Edam cheese (optional, or a good substitute if you do not have feta in the house!)
1. Defrost peas in a bowl of water in the microwave, drain and set aside.
2. In a large bowl add eggs, milk, flour and baking powder, whisk together (a hand whisk is perfect for this).
3. Place in all other ingredients into the bowl and combine with a spoon.
4. Heat a large fry-pan on medium heat, add oil and spoon mixture into the pan (you can probably do 3-4 fritters at a time depending on the size of the pan and how big you would like your fritters!). Cook until each side is golden brown. Watch the temperature of the pan, if in doubt just turn it down a little. You may need to add more oil when you cook subsequent fritters.
5. Enjoy straight from the pan or alongside a nice side salad.
xxx Dr Julie Bhosale