Easy Roasted Eggplant
This is my easy roasted eggplant dish...with an Indian twist - inspired by the traditional Indian dish Bharit.
Our Sumshie (10-months) tried this for the first time today and loved it!
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tsp of cumin
Extra virgin olive oil
1. Roast the eggplants (skin on) - you can do this on the BBQ, stove top or in the oven. You want to roast them until soft and the skin just cracks (they will look a bit deflated and that's a sign they are ready).
2. While the eggplants are roasting, chop the onion and garlic. Grind the garlic well in a mortar and pestle (you can skip this step it just helps to bring out the flavour).
3. When the eggplant is ready, peel all the skin off. You want to make sure all skin is removed or the dish will have a bitter taste. Just watch your fingers the eggplant will be hot!
4. Heat a fry pan on medium heat. Mash the eggplant in a bowl.
5. Add oil to the fry pan and when this comes to temperature add the onion stirring quickly with a wooden spoon until soft. Quickly add the eggplant, garlic and cumin stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes. You just want to combine the ingredients and remove while still soft.
Variation - you can add chopped tomato and/or coriander for great vegetarian side dish.
Check out the video of Smushie trying this for the first time over my you-tube channel.
xxx The New Mum's Nutritionist