5 Awesome Ways With Spinach
Spinach is one of nature’s super foods. Rich in vitamins and minerals, it is also concentrated in health-promoting phytonutrients such as carotenoids (beta-carotene, lutein, and zeaxanthin) and flavonoids to provide you with powerful antioxidant protection. While most vegetables have these benefits, spinach has a special claim to fame in terms of its phytonutrient content. Researchers have identified more than a dozen different flavonoid compounds in spinach that function as anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer agents. And for those who remember Popeye you will be interested to know that apparently after his debut, America’s spinach consumption increased by 30%.
Naturally all mums want their children to be spinach-lovers so here are some easy ways to hide a whole bunch of spinach in your meals and children will not even notice – how can I be sure? Our Bam Bam has personally tested all of these options and has given them his seal of approval.
1. Put it in a pie – a homemade pie of course. I find a chicken pie works best for this but really that is the beauty of a pie you can hide most vegetables in there and it will go unnoticed.
2. Put it in a muffin – a simple vegetable or savoury muffin recipe you can easily add finely chopped spinach to.
3. Put it in a smoothie – yes it will make it a green smoothie but a great way to start the day.
4. Put in in an omelette - this one is pretty straight forward!
5. Put it in a slow-cooker recipe – literally you can add 5-10mins before the end of cooking time to almost any slow-cooker recipe.
Here are a few of my recipes on the blog that use this super ingredient:
In the meantime please let me know if you try out any of these ideas or how you manage to sneak spinach into your family meals!
Xxx Dr Julie