Jamie’s Tasty Tomato Tart
Tomatoes are a rich source of vitamins A and C and folic acid. They contain a wide array of beneficial nutrients and antioxidants, including alpha-lipoic acid, lycopene, choline, folic acid, beta-carotene and lutein. Alpha-lipoic acid helps the body to convert glucose into energy. Lycopene is the antioxidant that gives tomatoes their rich red color and is our major source of this micro-nutrient. Choline is an important nutrient found in tomatoes that helps with sleep, muscle movement, learning and memory. Choline also assists in the absorption of fat (a fat-soluble vitamin). I have a recipe for you, adapted from one of Jamie Oliver’s, which I hope provides you with a different (and tasty way) to include tomatoes into your diet. This is a slightly ‘more complicated’ recipes, especially if you have not worked with filo-pastry before but after you have made it a couple of times it’s a great little meal to make up on the weekend and have last the week for lunches and/or fast dinners. Ingredients: 350g of mixed ripe tomatoes, sliced ½ - 1 cup of spinach chopped finely 2 eggs 400ml cream ½ cup cheese, grated 40g butter, melted 200g ready-made filo pastry Oregano (fresh preferably) Olive oil Salt and pepper to taste Directions:
- Preheat oven to 180°C and place the sliced tomatoes in a colander/sieve and sprinkle with salt and pepper (adding a bit of salt will bring out their flavour and reduce the moistures in the tart). Leave the colander over a bowl.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl, then add the cream, grated cheese and a pinch of salt/pepper if desired. Mix together and set aside
- Take a large tart tin and brush it with a little of the melted butter. Cover the tray with a layer of filo pastry, overlapping the sheets so there are no gaps. Brush this base layer with more of the butter and repeat 4-5 times until you have a stable base for the filling.
- Add the spinach into the cream mixture and then pour onto the filo base and make sure it is evenly spread over it. Lay the tomatoes on top. Sprinkle fresh oregano leaves over the top.
- Bake the tart in the oven for about 40 minutes and allow to cool a bit before serving.