Healthy Toasted Muesli
The real secret (well not soooo secret) ingredient in there is coconut - both coconut oil and coconut threads. This lifts the sweet flavour of the muesli without being laden with lots of dried fruit (which does have a lot of sugar). The goji berries add a really nice colour (and you will find little ones like these too).
2 cups of oats (not milk oats)
1/2-3/4 cup of coconut threads
1/3 cup of pumpkin seeds
1/3 cup of walnut pieces
1 tb of honey
2-3 tb of coconut oil (softened)
1/3 cup of goji berries
Note: these are approximate serving sizes, I find you can experiment a lot with these ingredients!
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees and line a shallow tin (brownie tin) with baking paper.
- Put all dry ingredients on the tray (except for the goji berries).
- Mix in the honey and coconut oil with the back of the spoon.
- Toast in the oven until golden brown for approximately 20 minutes.
- Take out, allow to cool slightly and sprinkle over goji berries
This will store well in an air-tight container (unless eaten!).
This muesli makes a great breakfast option when pregnant or in the early new born days especially being more nutrient dense than many store-bought options. For more expert tips on eating well for breastfeeding (including for windy babies) be sure to check out my electronic Breastfeeding Guide.
xxx Dr Julie Bhosale