Gingerbread Muffins - For Morning Sickness
1/2 cup of coconut oil
1/4 cup of molasses (this is available in the baking section of the supermarket)
4 tb of honey
1/2 c of yoghurt (Greek or plain unsweetened)
1/2 c of milk
2 tsp of ground ginger
1 tsp of cinnamon
1/2 tsp of nutmeg
2 and 1/2 cups of wholemeal flour
2 tsp of baking powder
1 tsp of baking soda
70g walnuts (optional)
Low GI sugar for the topping
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees and lightly grease a muffin tin.
2. Place a pot on medium heat and melt the coconut oil (to a liquid), turn the heat right down and add the honey and molasses to combine.
3. In a large bowl place the egg, milk, yoghurt and spices (as you can see I am quite liberal with these!)
4. Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder and then the liquids (coconut oil, honey, molasses) and stir gently to combine. Add in the walnuts and again stir gently to combine. Mixture should be quite light and fluffy.
5. Pour or spoon evenly into the muffin holes and then sprinkle over the GI sugar lightly. Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes, until cooked through and allow to cool slightly before removing....delicious straight away (or will freeze well!).
xxx Dr Julie Bhosale